B20.1: It takes hitting RET key twice to make select() recognize input from stdin

Mumit Khan khan@xraylith.wisc.EDU
Sat May 22 12:30:00 GMT 1999

Kazuhisa Ichikawa <ki@home.email.ne.jp> writes:

> Under cygwin b20.1, select() does not correctly detect input from stdin. That
>  is,
> if I type a character and hit RET key once, select() returns 0 as the number
> of
> bits set in the bit masks. If I hit the RET key the second time, select()
> correctly returns 1.

> To reproduce the problem, just compile the attached test case and run it as:
>
>         gcc -g -o select_test.exe select_test.c
>         ./select_test.exe

I can't reproduce your problem on either NT or Win95. I do see different
behaviour if set the tty in CYGWIN variable (before starting bash), but
either case select returns 1 as expected. With CYGWIN=tty, I see the
same behaviour as on Linux.

Regards,
Mumit