program icons and version info for Windows

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Mon May 31 21:10:00 GMT 1999

Paul Thiessen wrote:

> On Tue, 11 May 1999, Charles Wilson wrote:
>
> > Mumit Khan stated that egcs-1.1.2 has a newer windres than the stock
> > cygwin-20.1, but I used egcs-1.1.2 to rebuild "run" last night and had
> > no luck getting VersionInfo to work. However, the next cygwin release
> > will contain an even newer version of windres, and Mumit promises that
> > it will create VersionInfo resources properly.
>
> Sorry, I should have been more clear. I did actually get the version info
> stuff working eventually (with egcs 1.1.2) once your message told me what
> to look for, after hacking around a bit and doing by example. Tacked onto
> the end of this is the .rc file I currently have. I don't know exactly
> what fields are required or what some of the more obscure variables mean;
> I just know that it works as-is, and doesn't if I remove some of the
> obscure stuff. (The joys of programming by example w/o any sort of
> documentation... :) )

I got version info stuff working in a cygwin binary as well - but ONLY after
replacing the windres in my /bin with the one in the egcs-1.1.2-mingw
package. There is no windres.exe in the egcs-1.1.2-cygwin package that I
could see; I can only assume that my old windres was either from the
original B20.1 installation, or from egcs-1.1.1-cygwin.

--Chuck