install.exe and make install can't handle executables?

David Starks-Browning starksb@ebi.ac.uk
Mon May 31 21:10:00 GMT 1999

On Thursday 13 May 99, Ian Zimmerman writes:
> Hi, it looks like running "make install" pretty much on any GNU style
> package will fail because the makefile rule passes "foo" as the filename
> for install while the file that must be installed is "foo.exe".  Note
> that this _cannot_ be solved by telling "--program-suffix=.exe" to
> configure, because that only changes the destination name, not the
> source name.
>
> Is there any solution to this, or am I just out of luck and have to copy
> files manually?  The problem with this is not so much my laziness as the
> fact that sometimes "make install" does other important things I don't
> want to miss.

Just replace install.exe with this one:

< ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Humblet_Pierre_A/install-cygwin-b20-sh >

Regards,
David

  David Starks-Browning                  | starksb@ebi.ac.uk
  EMBL Outstation --                     |
  The European Bioinformatics Institute  |
  Wellcome Trust Genome Campus           | tel: +44 (1223) 494 616
  Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SD, UK       | fax: +44 (1223) 494 468