/bin mount point and sh.exe

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Mon May 31 21:10:00 GMT 1999

--- Mark Peterson <mark_h_peterson@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have chosen the "identity mount" setup and mounted
> as shown below.  I have mounted c: as /c as well, but in this case it
> is umount-ed at the moment.
>
> It is important that sh.exe be able to find itself to execute shell
> scripts.  So I went so far as to put a few critical programs like sh,
> ls, cat, rm, etc in
> c:\bin to see if sh.exe could always find what it needs.
>
> This is the question:
> At DOS with paths set up so that the H-i586-cygwin32/bin directory can
> be found, should I be able
> to simply type:
>
> sh ls
>
> and get a directory?  As it is, sh cannot find ls in this way.  Is this
> bad syntax, or is this normal behavior?

Yes, this is bad syntax.  `sh -c ls' would give you what you're looking for.
OTOH, if you have the paths in PATH in DOS format then at the DOS prompt you
should be able to just type `ls' to get a POSIX style directory listing.
===
"Earnie Boyd" < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
CYGWIN RELATED HELP:
 DOCUMENTATION: < http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/docs.html >