Cygwin built DLL invoked from MSC app doesn't seem to be all there.

Mikey jeffdbREMOVETHIS@goodnet.com
Mon May 31 21:10:00 GMT 1999

Cygwin's tty handling code doesn't return
the dev bit set on stat, to non cygwin programs.

Non cygwin programs (msvcrt mingw32) use
isatty or stat to find out if they are communicating
with a device, assumed to be the console.

st.dev, st.rdev are both always set for character devices.

fixing this would (off the top of my head) require cygwin to only pass down
standard handles(or duped redirected standard handles),
and to copy the contents of the tty screen
buffer to a new buffer, switch the screen buffer in the console
window to the new buffer, and if the new process is a cygwin
one put everything back, before it continues, and probably
a lot of other things ;-)

Or maybe someone knows how to tweak the kernel to
return st.dev/rdev set on any handle?

W95_D:\usr\src\proj\test_headers>readdev NUL
Device No.    : 3
Inode #       : 0
File mode Hex : 2000
No. links     : 1
User Id       : 0
Group Id      : 0
Device No.    : 3
File size     : 0
Last Acc Date : Wed Dec 31 17:00:00 1969
Time created  : Wed Dec 31 17:00:00 1969
Time modified : Wed Dec 31 17:00:00 1969

W95_D:\usr\src\proj\test_headers>readdev aux