bash sees all lines as 80 chars long

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Mon May 31 21:10:00 GMT 1999

--- "Stewart, Wayne" <wayne.stewart@sonosite.com> wrote:
-8<-
> I then go to the Properties dialog for *this particular
> window* by clicking on the Cygnus icon in the upper
> left corner.  After changing the window & buffer width
> to '110', I select 'Apply properties to current window
> only'.  The window is now wider and 'stty size' returns
> '50 110'.  Holding down any letter key shows me bash
> (readline) is still wrapping lines at 80 chars.
>
> If I execute 'kill -WINCH $$', bash (readline) will now
> wrap the input command line correctly (at 110 chars,
> or is it 109 chars - who cares, it looks right).
>
> So, I gather in your case you do not need to execute
> 'kill -WINCH $$', and that your bash (readline) has
> somehow seen the window resize operation and wraps
> input lines at the correct line width?
-8<-

Aha, were discussing apples and oranges.  The input line shifts to the left to
make room on the right when I do your predescribed operation.  Previously I was
thinking output buffer, sorry for the confusion.  Perhaps it has to do with
wrapping modes in bash.
===
"Earnie Boyd" < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
CYGWIN RELATED HELP: