Make 3.77 $(shell) function problems

Lincoln, W. Terry terryl@ultimatetechnology.com
Mon May 31 21:10:00 GMT 1999

Is your SHELL environment variable set to something?

Try sending in the output of:
 cygcheck -s -v -r

Michael K. Elwood wrote:

> >I'm having a bit of trouble with cygwin Make 3.77. The $(shell ...)
> function
> >does not seem to be working properly. It's not returning the
> output of the
> >shell command. Here is a simple test makefile:
> >
> >shelltest = $(shell echo Hello)
> >
> >all:
> >    @echo Shelltest = $(shelltest)
>

> >When I run this using cygwin Make 3.77, I get:
> >
> >Shelltest =
> >
> >I tried this on one of our linux boxes using Make 3.76.1, and I get:
> >
> >Shelltest = Hello
>
> Apologies for replying to my own post, but I have some additional
> information. This problem only seems to occur in the mingw32
> make (version
> 3.77 from JanJaap's site). The cygwin make (my current
> installation has make
> 3.75) does not show this behavior.
>
> Putting single quotes around the shell command (i.e. $(shell
> 'echo Hello'),
> as someone suggested) did not help, but it did cause make to emit the
> following error message:
>
> process_begin: CreateProcess((null), "echo Hello", ...) failed.
> make: *** expand_function: unable to launch process (e=2)
> .  Stop.
>
> Best regards,
>
> MKE

W. Terry Lincoln - Senior Engineer       \     \   _   /
Ultimate Technology Corporation           \     \ |J| /
a Tridex Company (NASDAQ:trdx)             \     _|E|_
   ICQ# 39362285                            \   |_ S _|
  < http://wwp.icq.com/39362285 >              \    |U|
 < mailto:WTerryLincoln@engineer.com >          \ / |S| \
 < http://www.AngelFire.com/ny/TerryLincoln >    \  | |
< http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Concourse/7326 > ~~~~~