Problems with Mingw and DLL

Josh Pollak jbp4@cornell.edu
Wed Nov 3 19:02:00 GMT 1999

Hello,

	As far as I can tell, this is the proper place to discuss this sort of
thing. I am trying to compile a DLL for Mingw (Without cygwin), that I can
already compile successfully in Visual C 6.0. I have heard from the author
of the sdk I am using that this will not work because:

 >Currently vtable referencing doesn't work with the EGCS GCC (Mingw) for
Windows.  So
 >you must make sure you use the C-Interface functions instead of the DMFC
class
 >members.

	What exactly does this mean, and is it true? I am using Mingw GCC 2.95. I
understand that the Cygwin GCC 2.95 has been patched to fix some bitfield
issues. Is this related to my problem?
	Currently, my DLL compiles and builds (using dllwrap) just fine, and the
Application that uses the DLL seems to load it and call a few functions
from it just fine for a while before crashing. Unfortunately, I cannot
debug it at all or give an information about the crash because the error
message is hidden by a fullscreen DirectX window.
	It would be very helpful if Mingw could handle this sort of development,
especially because I would like to help many other people without access to
Visual C write DLL's like mine, but this issue needs to be overcome first.
	Thanks for any help anyone can lend. And again, I'm sorry if this is
posted to the wrong place.

-Josh Pollak
---
jbp4@cornell.edu