Unable to Type Lower Case e in the Bash Window

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 05:57:00 GMT 1999

--- Gus Baldauf <gus@transbay.net> wrote:
> Hello All,

Hello Gus,

> I just installed Cygwin 1.0.  When I open a bash window and I try to type or
> paste the lower case letter e, nothing appears in the window and the computer
> beeps at me.  For example, I can not enter the commands cygcheck, exit, echo
> or
> set.  All other upper and lower case letters work fine.

-8<-

I checked the output from cygcheck.  There is a bug in the Install process that
leaves you with two different records in the registry for the / directory.
Change to the bin directory containing umount and mount, then do `./umount / &&
./mount 'e:\' /' and that should resolve the problem.

You might want to spend some time cleaning up the path a bit.  You can export
PATH='/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/what/ever/else/bin:.' from the ~/.bashrc
file.  Of importance I would get rid of the mksnt path from the list to ensure
that you're not mixing environments.

=====
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
Cygwin Newbies, please visit