mkpasswd -d error

Corinna Vinschen corinna@vinschen.de
Mon Nov 29 04:14:00 GMT 1999

Keith Starsmeare wrote:

> I'm now using the 19991122 snapshot but even that mkpasswd gives me an
> error:
>
>   > mkpasswd -d $USERDOMAIN
>   Cannot get DC, code = 1355

Are you sure that your login is a login of a domain user?

I have checked it out and "it works for me".

My scenario:

Computername of Workstation: CVHP
Name of Domain where CVHP is member of: VINSCHEN

Login on Workstation as user "corinna" of Domain "VINSCHEN":

$ echo $USERDOMAIN
VINSCHEN
$ mkpasswd -d $USERDOMAIN
Jeder:*:0:0:,S-1-1-0::
SYSTEM:*:18:18:,S-1-5-18::
Administrator::500:513:,S-1-5-21-...
[etc. as expected]

Login on Workstation as user "corinna" of Domain "CVHP" (as local user):

$ echo $USERDOMAIN
CVHP
$ mkpasswd -d $USERDOMAIN
Jeder:*:0:0:,S-1-1-0::
SYSTEM:*:18:18:,S-1-5-18::
Cannot get DC, code = 1355

But, logon as local user as well:

$ mkpasswd -d VINSCHEN

works as expected again!

You see? Unfortunately, I have no chance to test in an environment
with more than one domain and trusted domains etc.

BTW, the code 1355 has the meaning:

"The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted"

and the Computername of the local computer is on one hand used as
$USERDOMAIN but is on the other hand not contactable as DC. IMHO,
this is not good but it is so.

Hope, this helps,
Corinna