For the FAQ: NT PATH problems

Corinna Vinschen corinna@vinschen.de
Fri Oct 1 02:43:00 GMT 1999

Kai Henningsen wrote:

> Q: I'm on NT, and bash can't find any commands unless I give the
> whole pathname. CYGWIN.BAT sets the PATH, but bash doesn't
> see this - it magically disappears again.
>
> A: Under Settings/Control Panel/System/Environment, there are
> system and user variables. You need to have both a "Path" entry in
> the upper window, and a "PATH" entry in the lower window. The
> latter is probably missing.
>
> Just type PATH into the Variable field, leave Value blank, and click
> on Set.
>
> (Don't ask me why Microsoft decided to do it this way.)

I dont know, why you think so, but that is neither a general
problem, nor a solution. NT concat's both PATHs to generate the
path for the current user. They also doesn't disappear if
they are correct. One problem seems to be the existence of a
trailing semicolon but I don't remember the exact effect. Maybe,
another reader can explain it?

Regards,
Corinna