compilation problems

David Robinow drobinow@yahoo.com
Sun Oct 31 19:54:00 GMT 1999

--- Cal Thorne <ct@rmorton.com> wrote:
> I ftp my source&makefiles from Unix to my Win PC.
> The ftp program does a
> converion on the text files to make them compatible
> with DOS (which means
> changing a cr to a cr+lf).  [someone please correct
> me if I don't have that
> right]
  LF -> CR LF
>  So then, under Cygwin, I tar.gz my whole
> source tree and ftp it to
> another Unix box ...
> a '^M' at the end of each line.
>  So I solve the problem by ftp'ing each text file
>individually in text mode if I go from
> Unix to DOS.
 Use zip instead of tar.gz
Then when you transfer you use "unzip -a"
 zip archives generally don't compress quite as well
as tar.gz archives but they certainly are a large
improvement over no compression at all.  Also, this
technique will work in either direction. "unzip -a"
writes text files appropriate for the OS you are
using.

=====