Having difficulty setting up.

Daniel Harry Hawson u7dhhATdcs.shef.ac.uk
Thu Sep 16 01:48:00 GMT 1999

I'm finding it extremely difficult to set up Cygwin.
I have been unable to compile the simplest of programs.
I have read the FAQ, some other Cygwin guide pages, and I have managed to copy
all of the 'users guide' web pages and can understand very little of them.
Please forgive my ignorance.
It seems that I have to do many other things after installing from the latest
'full.exe'.
I accepted the default installation options, but now I have added 'etc\',
'usr\', 'bin\', and 'tmp\' into my C:\ directory. I read that I also need make a
'passwd' and 'group' file, along with mounting lots of things, setting many
environment variables in various places, and create '.profile', '.bashrc' and
'.inputrc' somewhere.

I (and surely many others) would benefit a lot from simple, concise instructions
for a non-networked, single HD, Win95 computer with all the files and folders
located in C:\Cygwin.
Also, allowing a 'Progs' folder within 'C:\Cygwin\', containing C/C++ program
code that can then be compiled using standard libraries.

I ultimately want to be able to use the OpenGL library to draw a polygon on the
screen, but that seems unreachable at the moment.

Please could someone have pity on me and spare the time to help me set up
everything or point me in the right direction.
I would be SO grateful.

Thankyou for your time.

Dan
u7dhh@dcs.shef.ac.uk