automatic relocation problem? (WAS: problem with 3rd party lib)

Mumit Khan khanATxraylith.wisc.EDU
Thu Sep 16 06:33:00 GMT 1999

Thomas Kowatsch <Thomas.Kowatsch@stest.ch> writes:

> I think my 3rd party library is using the MSVCRT runtime. Is thereany
> way I can use this 3rd party lib then and cygwin?

There are times when it will work, and there are times when it won't.
It's not a simple issue, believe me.

> Is this a general problem that MSVC libraries are not usable? So
> the 3rd party vendor has to support a cygwin version?

That would be nice of course.

Before you do anything further, please fix your DLL making process and
*remove* the erroneous entry point. Never override the entry point for
any DLL unless you really know what you're doing (and if you do, ignore
the rest of the paragraph). The way to handle this is to simply supply
your own DllMain that will be called automatically by the default entry
point. In your case, just don't use the library supplied one (ie., don't
provide one and the linker will pick up the one in the library) since
you don't do anything special.

Doing the above of course doesn't mean that this particular case is going
to work of course!

Regards,
Mumit