X11 for cygwin B20.1 ???

Kevin L. McWhirter klmcw@earthlink.net
Sun Sep 19 17:05:00 GMT 1999

To be honest I do not recall all of the brick walls I encountered while
trying to get this going this weekend.

I messed with MI/X a year or so ago and realized then that it was useless.
I would like to get Xvnc working as a cheap X server.  That compile died a
violent death as the patch available is a version or so behind the oldest
available version of vnc.

I was hoping that there was a doc somewhere to get me started.  I really do
not want to spend weeks trying to re-port already ported software every step
of the way.

After all .... all I really want is a version of gvim that will work with
Perforce!  That's what started all of this.  After failing to find one that
was compiled for WIN32 native (read non-X) and failing to get it to compile
(after 3 hours of trying) quickly,  I decided I needed to get my environment
a little more in line with what seems to be the *norm* [I hate that word].
It seems that this means (among other things) gcc-2.95,  B20.1,  and X11R6.4
(or X11R6.3 not sure which is the better choice yet),  and binary moint
points (I have been using text for about a year now).

If you could put a web page outline the basic things to get and where they
are and a rough set of steps to follow I would be grateful!

Thanks for the reply.
Kevin