CYGWIN-1.1.0 trouble: 40 to 80 sec delay if no network connection

Ulrich Jakobus u.jakobus@web.de
Tue Apr 25 09:58:00 GMT 2000

> The TMPDIR variable is also translated by cygwin1.dll v1.1.0.  Is it
> possible that this is a network path?

TMPDIR is not set, but setting it to a local directory does not
make any difference concerning the delays.

> Also, if you run "strace -osomefile /bin/pwd" it will probably be
> obvious what is causing the delay.  There will be a really large
> number in the first field of somefile.

Unfortunately, this does not work. In can execute "/bin/pwd", but
trying to run "strace /bin/pwd" results in the message

  strace: error creating process /bin/pwd, (error 3)

(I have installed just 1 hour ago the latest available snapshot,
and "strace" has been replaced from there: 37376 Apr 22 04:26 /bin/strace)
However, I also went back to the clean CYGWIN-1.1.0 installation,
strace report the same error message.

Let me also reply to the message from DJ Delorie here:

> The only thing I see that's odd is this line:
>
> PWD = `//e/zip'
>
> Especially since everything else uses /cygdrive/e/

This happened accidentially and is not the default. If I open a bash
shell (with or without network cable attached), the contents of PWD
is e.g. "PWD=/cygdrive/d/cygnus/CYGWIN~1.0/bin". In this particular
case when I executed the command "cygcheck -r -s -v > cygcheck.out"
I changed before the directory by typing "cd //e/zip". Perhaps I
should have written "cd /cygdrive/e/zip", but this is not related
to the delay problems I have.

Ulrich