Lack of Cygwin contributors? Was: How is textmode/binmodedetermined ...

simon.p.cozens@jp.pwcglobal.com simon.p.cozens@jp.pwcglobal.com
Sun Apr 30 22:26:00 GMT 2000

> If we don't sell such licenses, then there would be less
> cygwin development.  How would that help?

Hm. Your argument isn't logical.

There are plenty of projects which don't sell licenses
and yet do have a thriving developer community. Therefore
you cannot say that *not* selling licenses would necessarily
inhibit development; you're begging the question there.

On the other hand, Cygwin sells licenses, and it seems that
developers are being put off while Cygnus are crying out
for people to help. So selling licenses can't be said to
necessarily promote development.

If Cygnus selling commercial licenses is purely about
money, say so. At least be real. But don't believe that
it has a beneficial effect on development.

Simon

__END__
computer.