OpenSSH through inetd.

Fifer, Eric EFifer@sanwaint.com
Wed Aug 2 10:04:00 GMT 2000

"Jens Yllman" wrote:
>But after I did a reinstall for the cygwin 1.1.3 I can not get ssh to work.

I think I'm seeing the same thing.  I had been running cygwin-1.1.3
with openssh-2.1.0p3 and starting a ssh session from inetd/sshd
worked fine.  Today, I only upgraded openssh-2.1.1p4 and now I can
*NOT* start ssh from inetd/sshd, either when inetd is started as a
WinNT Service or when inetd (-d) is started from bash.

My account has administrator privileges and in sshd_config I'm only
using "PasswordAuthentication yes".  A ssh -v shows everything
going very normally, "debug: Entering interactive session.", then
all of a sudden the other side of the connection drops and the
session fails with "Connection to sil2036 closed."

However, if I launch sshd from bash (with or without debugging),
a ssh session starts just fine.

The sshd -d debugging (that goes to the Event Viewer) doesn't
seem to contain anything useful.  When comparing the sshd -d
output for a failed ssh session (launched from inetd/sshd)
to a successful ssh session (launched from bash/sshd, no -i),
there is no obvious culprit.

The failed session seems to almost complete, but then the forked
sshd child exits for some unknown/unreported reason.  Since,
things worked before and logging in via telnetd continues
to work, I'm assuming the problem is not with my configuration
and has something to do with the new openssh-2.1.1p4 release.

I backed out to openssh-2.1.0p3 and everything works fine again.

I'll need to recompile and add more debugging to further isolate
the problem.

Eric Fifer