OpenSSH through inetd.

Corinna Vinschen vinschen@cygnus.com
Wed Aug 2 12:09:00 GMT 2000

FWIW, I can reproduce the behaviour.

sshd only fails if started from inetd.

I have a `stty' call in my profile and this `stty' prints an
interesting message:

stty: standard input: Not a character device

Then, the connection is closed.

I have straced that effect by

  strace -f inetd -d

but unfortunately I can't see why this happens. Of course I will
further investigate but, nevertheless, each help is welcome.

Corinna

"Fifer, Eric" wrote:

> "Jens Yllman" wrote:
> >But after I did a reinstall for the cygwin 1.1.3 I can not get ssh to work.
>
> I think I'm seeing the same thing.  I had been running cygwin-1.1.3
> with openssh-2.1.0p3 and starting a ssh session from inetd/sshd
> worked fine.  Today, I only upgraded openssh-2.1.1p4 and now I can
> *NOT* start ssh from inetd/sshd, either when inetd is started as a
> WinNT Service or when inetd (-d) is started from bash.
>
> My account has administrator privileges and in sshd_config I'm only
> using "PasswordAuthentication yes".  A ssh -v shows everything
> going very normally, "debug: Entering interactive session.", then
> all of a sudden the other side of the connection drops and the
> session fails with "Connection to sil2036 closed."
>
> However, if I launch sshd from bash (with or without debugging),
> a ssh session starts just fine.
>
> The sshd -d debugging (that goes to the Event Viewer) doesn't
> seem to contain anything useful.  When comparing the sshd -d
> output for a failed ssh session (launched from inetd/sshd)
> to a successful ssh session (launched from bash/sshd, no -i),
> there is no obvious culprit.
>
> The failed session seems to almost complete, but then the forked
> sshd child exits for some unknown/unreported reason.  Since,
> things worked before and logging in via telnetd continues
> to work, I'm assuming the problem is not with my configuration
> and has something to do with the new openssh-2.1.1p4 release.
>
> I backed out to openssh-2.1.0p3 and everything works fine again.
>
> I'll need to recompile and add more debugging to further isolate
> the problem.
>
> Eric Fifer
>
> --

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com