OpenSSH2.1.1p4 - NT to NT: Problem

Corinna Vinschen vinschen@cygnus.com
Mon Aug 7 08:55:00 GMT 2000

norbert.bladt@usa.net wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I did some debugging and now I know why RhostsAuthentication
> (and RhostsRSAAuthentication) does not work between two
> NT systems over here.
> Regardless of the setting in the configuration file
> (sshd_config) the server is disabling both authentication methods
> as soon as the client does not connect from a priviledged port.
> On UNIX, ssh runs as root via "set userid" and that's why there
> is no problem from, e.g. Linux or Reliant-UNIX to NT.
>
> However, how to achieve this between NT systems ?
> Has anybody gotten this to work ?
> I tried running the ssh client as Administrator but that
> didn't change anything on the server side.

A temporary solution, please give some feedback to the list:

_IF_ you're using ntsec, please try the following:

  Change your /etc/passwd file on the client box so that the
  administrator (or your favorite admins member name) has uid 0.
  This should allow that admin to use a privileged port when
  starting ssh.

If you're not using ntsec, this won't work. Please give a
feedback to the list, nevertheless.

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.