CR/LF and read is shell scripts

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) lhall@rfk.com
Tue Aug 22 11:30:00 GMT 2000

At 11:58 AM 8/22/2000, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--- "Fifer, Eric" <EFifer@sanwaint.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Anyone that has got an idea?
> >
> > Try something like 'sed -n p' instead of 'cat'.
> >
> > The cat currently included with cygwin does not
> > work correctly on text mounts.  See my previous
> > email for details.
> >

>Let me see if IIRC.  You, Eric Fifer, had said that cat is forcing binary mode
>file processing regardless of the text/binary mode default settings.  Cat,
>IIRC, comes from the textutils package.  This implies that cat is a text
>utility and processing of files should default to text mode processing.
>
>IIRC, you had also suggested a switch --binmode for processing binary files
>with cat.  I believe that this should be the case.  So given this cat should be
>changed to:
>
>Process stdin in text mode and stdout in binary mode.
>Process stdin and stdout in binary mode if --binmode is given.
>Process stdin and stdout in text mode if --textmode is given.
>Process stdin in binary if --binmode-in is given.
>Process stdout in text mode if --textmode-out is given.
>The switch --textmode-in and --binmode-out should also be supported.
>
>Comments?
>
>Cheers,
>
>=====
>---
>    Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
>             __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__

If you want my opinion, cat under Cygwin should open files using the MS
text mode option (which reads text or binary files properly) and write
it as the target file system or pipe suggests by default.  The flags you
suggest are fine options.  Of course, they should work on files and
stdin/stdout in the same way.