new tape problems

Bernd Rosauer Bernd.Rosauer@epost.de
Thu Dec 7 02:46:00 GMT 2000

Hi!

I installed Cygwin B20.1 on a Windows 98 machine connected to a SCSI box
containing 6 drives. All SCSI drives are recognized by Windows at boot
time. I mounted the two tape drives under cygwin:

Device              Directory           Type         Flags
D:\Cygwin-B20.1\bin  /usr/bin            user         binmode
D:\Cygwin-B20.1\lib  /usr/lib            user         binmode
D:\Cygwin-B20.1     /                   user         binmode
\\.\tape0           /dev/rst0           system       binmode
\\.\tape0           /dev/nrst0          system       binmode
\\.\tape1           /dev/rst1           system       binmode
\\.\tape1           /dev/nrst1          system       binmode

By order of recognition at boot time, tape 0 is a QIC device and tape 1
is a DDS-3 device.

But "mt -f /dev/rst1 offline" complains:

TapePrepare: 1: Unzulässige Funktion  (German for "invalid function")
mt: Error setting tape offline

And "tar -tf /dev/rst1" complains after some sort of timeout:

tar: Cannot open /dev/rst1: No such file or directory
tar: Error is recoverable: exiting now

Although these examples are for the DDS-3 device, they can be reproduced
for the QIC device, too.

What is wrong with my setup? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Bernd