Contributing condition variables to Cygwin pthreads -- How do I start?

Brian.P.Kasper@aero.org Brian.P.Kasper@aero.org
Tue Dec 12 10:07:00 GMT 2000

Hello.

As the subject says, I'd like to volunteer to add condition
variables (pthread_cond_t, etc.) to the Cygwin pthread library,
but I've never hacked Cygwin before and I really don't know what
steps are required to start.

Is there a "Cygwin volunteering FAQ" somewhere?  If not, I'd
greatly appreciate some pointers from people who know what they're
doing.

Is there a reason the "Open Source POSIX Threads for Win32" code
at http://sources.redhat.com/pthreads-win32/ hasn't been combined
with Cygwin?

I tried using the pthread.h and libpthreadVCE.{a,dll} libraries
from this site on top of cygwin (i.e. installing them into /usr/local)
but had some problems.

This code appears to support condition variables, but it does some
weird #defining and #including (of stuff like winsock.h) which leads
to collisions with cygwin includes like <sys/time.h>.

I don't want to duplicate others' work, and I'd prefer not to start
down a blind alley, but I would like to make this effort.

Any suggestions?

-Brian Kasper
 kasper@aero.org