CYGWIN1.DLL??

Charles S. Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Sat Dec 16 20:22:00 GMT 2000

T Evermahn wrote:

> I have tried to load up both consize.exe(using the Win95cmd.exe not
> command.exe --grin--) and rxvt, but both, send out a warning saying that the
> CYGWIN1.DLL is missing. Anyone with an idea? I read through the archives
> using +consize as a search criterium, but nothing seemed to mention this
> *.dll.
> Also, I was wondering, how do you get bash.exe to open in something other
> than command.exe? Maybe that is where my problem lies. --makes a not of FYI:
> I am obviously trying to learn, and not knowing all too much--

Win95cmd.exe is a Microsoft product.  It does not rely on cygwin1.dll

The consize package from
http://cygutils.netpedia.net/unversioned/consize/ provides two binaries:
consize-cygwinb20.exe and consize-vc.exe.  The first relies on
cygwin1.dll.  The second does not.

You can run 'Win95Cmd.exe' and then execute 'consize-vc.exe 2000' --
this gives you a 'DOS box' with a scrollback buffer of 2000 lines, and
doesn't rely on cygwin1.dll at all.

However, if you are trying to use bash in that window, then *bash* needs
cygwin1.dll in the path.

There are two ports of rxvt that I know about: one
( http://cygutils.netpedia.net/V1.1/rxvt-2.6.2/ ) requires an Xserver.
The other ( http://www.io.com/~bub/rxvt.html ) does not.  Both, however,
rely on cygwin1.dll

You can start bash in an rxvt window thus:  'rxvt -e bash' provided (a)
rxvt is in your path, (b) bash is in your path, (c) cygwin1.dll is in
your path.  If you choose the rxvt from cygutils, you also need to have
an Xserver running (see http://www.starnet.com/  for a free (beer), but
limited, version, or check out the cygwin-xfree project and its mailing
list ( http://www.cygwin.com/xfree/ .  I recommend newbies start out with
starnet, first; cygwin-xfree is a work-in-progress).

Finally, cygwin1.dll itself is the main kernel of the cygwin package.
If you do not have it installed properly, it's not surprising that
cygwin programs do not work as expected.  Use setup.exe to re-install
'cygwin-1.1.6-1' package (setup will also tell you if you need to
update/install any other packages, as well).  You may also want to edit
your windows environment so that <cygwin-root>/bin is in your path --
Win9x/Me: autoexec.bat, WinNT/2K: rightclick My Computer and choose
'Environment' tab.

--Chuck