CVS permissions problem with network drive

Corinna Vinschen cygwin@cygwin.com
Sun Dec 17 03:46:00 GMT 2000

On Sunday 17 December 2000 09:16, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
> "Charles S. Wilson" wrote:
> > The necessary right appears to be "Restore Files and Directories"
> > (SeRestorePrivilege).  At least the following did not work:
> >
> > host user cwilson: member of 'Power Users', no additional rights
> >   but this DID work:
> > host user cwilson: membero of 'Power Users' + SeRestorePrivilege.
> >
> > (It's possible the necessary rights are SeRestorePrivilege + the
> > rights granted by Power User status, as opposed to normal User).
>
> Dadgummit.  Looks like I spoke too soon.  It is true that the
> preceeding combination of rights will allow 'touch foo' to create a
> file with the desired permissions (umask = 002 ---> -rw-rw-r-- foo)
> but I'm still prevented from THEN doing a 'chmod 777 foo'.
>
> > So: In order to access a CVS repository on an SMB share exported by
> > an NT host, the user's account on the host must have the
> > SeRestorePrivilege right.  However, this is dangerous:
>
> This is bull.  Ignore.

No, this isn't bull! You are right. You only did it the half way.

If _both_ accounts (your local account and the remote account used
for the SMB connection) have the SeRestorePrivilge user right everything
works as expected.

Thanks for the hint, Chuck.

However, giving this permission remains dangerous for the reasons you
explained in your previous mail. So the correct way in terms of NT
security is still using domains and domain accounts.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.