delete old version?

Markus Hoenicka Markus.Hoenicka@uth.tmc.edu
Mon Dec 18 09:09:00 GMT 2000

Hi,

I think in the case of MySQL the often-heard-on-this-list reason why
they include B19-based clients is that no one cared to provide a newer
port. It's also open source, so there is no point in waiting that
"they" provide it. Port it and they'll be happy to include it.

I personally was only interested in libmysql so far. It is possible to
build it from the most recent sources with cygwin 1.1.6. I can provide
the patches and build instructions if you need them. I didn't look at
the clients yet, but it should not be impossible to build them
too. They're on my todo list, but not at top priority.

regards,
Markus

Chris Abbey writes:
 > At 17:55 12/17/00 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
 > >If someone is releasing a version of cygwin they have to provide sources.
 >
 > oh, right... duh... I wasn't even thinking of the sources aspect;
 > I was trying to figure out what kind of bizarre "thou shalt not ship
 > old shit" clause I was forgetting.
 >
 > the configure script bug was trivial to fix... but they go off and redefine
 > a whole bunch of things out of system include headers and a lot of other
 > nasty stuff... bah, forget that... I don't need mySQL on windows *that* bad.
 >

 > now the forces of openness
 >      have a powerful and
 >      unexpected new ally
 >     http://ibm.com/linux/
 >

 > --

Markus Hoenicka, PhD
UT Houston Medical School
Dept. of Integrative Biology and Pharmacology
6431 Fannin MSB4.114
Houston, TX 77030
(713) 500-6313, -7477
(713) 500-7444 (fax)