Telnet and the net command

Jari Aalto+mail.emacs posting-list@MailAndNews.com
Tue Dec 19 15:29:00 GMT 2000

* Tue 2000-12-19 Allan Clearwaters <allan@object-forge.com> list.cygwin
| The problem is not related to the CYGWIN variable but rather to
| subprocesses.  It appears that (from a telnet login) if you launch a task
| under NT (for instance a java application) then its output disappears down a
| black hole.  I assume this is what I saw with the net command.  Is there any
| way to solve this?

[Crosspost to Emacs Gnus and NT Emacs mailing lists too]

I recently ran into this while debuggin my Emacs/Gnus configuration.
I was trying to get Gnus to telnet to remote host and then make login to
the newsserver.

After some Lisp level debugginh in Emacs Gnus, I found out that
cygwin telnet did not echo the prompt to Emacs process buffer at all.

I don't have an idea why it doesn't show there. You can sent a command
to that process buffer, and the prompt "sort of" appears, but it does
not stay to the left as in regular logins.

If anyone have access to NT Emacs (mine is still 20.6), Here is some
code to test. I'm running the current net release as of 2000-12-20

Put you cursor in emacs after the last paren and hit C-x C-e and
you can run the code with M-x (Esc and x) my-telnet-cygwin.
Change the login destination host as needed.

Jari

(defun my-telnet-cygwin-test ()
  (interactive)
  ;; (require 'nntp)
  ;;  use global now for testing outside this function
  (setq buffer  "*telnet-cygwin*" )
  (setq proc (apply
	      'start-process
	      "telnet-process"
	      buffer
	      "telnet"
	      nil
	      ))
  (display-buffer buffer)
  (message  "As you can see, no telnet> prompt here....")
  (sit-for 5)
  (process-send-string proc "set escape \^X\n")
  (message  "But it accepts command, prompt is still kinda lost")
  (sit-for 5)
  (message  "Now you should see attempted login..."
  (process-send-string
   proc
   (concat "open " "newton.tpu.fi" "\n"))
  (sit-for 5)
  ;; (nntp-wait-for-string "^\r*.?password:")
  (delete-process proc)
  (if (y-or-n-p "Kill test telnet buffer?")
      (kill-buffer buffer))

  ))