AW: AW: AW: documentation archive

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 08:11:00 GMT 2000

--- "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall@rfk.com> wrote:
> At 10:49 AM 12/20/2000, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >--- Bernard Dautrevaux <Dautrevaux@microprocess.com> wrote:
> > > Why not switch to the quite common ".tgz" suffix instead of .tar.gz" and
> > > replace dots in release numbers by underscores? this could be done almost
> > > unambiguously (at least as long as package names do not contain '-'):
> > >

> >Yuck!!  Not worth it.
>

> I'm not sure I understand this reaction.  To be honest, I think simple
> permutation in form that addresses the inevitable queries to the list
> regarding the problem of name-mangling by browsers a "good thing"(tm) (of
> course one could argue that the browsers need to be fixed!;-)).  This idea
> seems to be focused toward that goal.  Logistics of making this change aside,
>
> is there a reason this would NOT be a good idea?  Just curious...

Yes, the browsers should be fixed and the most recent version of Netscape
Communicator doesn't mangle the names any more.  There are other reasons
besides name mangling, such as, file content mangling that alwo happens.  If
the browser doesn't understand the extention then it downloads in text mode.
So, it's not worth changing the name.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd