why must cygwin be first in path?

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 08:33:00 GMT 2000

--- Steven Schram <sschram@aircell.com> wrote:
> How fast is your test computer?  In my case, bash takes no perceptible time
> to start -- no matter whether cygwin1.dll is currently loaded or has been
> loaded recently.   On the other hand, make starts quickly but pauses before
> processing the Makefile only if the PATH is arranged 'incorrectly' and only
> if the pause hasn't occurred in the last 10 seconds.  It seems important to
> note that the delay happens every 10 seconds even if make is executed
> repeatedly.  Also, it need not be executed from an interactive shell.  I use
> Visual SlickEdit and it executes make via a non-interactive cmd.exe shell.
> The delay does occur in this case.

So, exactly what are _you_ using Cygwin for?  Are you using the POSIX layer of
Cygwin?

What happens if you modify the make command to be "sh -c 'make'"?  Do you see
the same results when executing make from bash?

Regards,

=====
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
Cygwin Newbies, please visit