why must cygwin be first in path?

Corinna Vinschen corinna@vinschen.de
Fri Feb 4 09:43:00 GMT 2000

Only a short hint:

I have no problem with this and I don't have cygwin first in path.

In my NT environment, $PATH looks like

    PATH=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%; ... ;D:\my\cygwin\bin

so all Windows tools are found earlier than the cygwin binaries.

When I'm starting a cygwin tool, I always use a shell or a shell
script that does whatever should be done:

    D:\my\cygwin\bin\sh whatever_should be_done.sh

This shell script begins with s.th. like that:

    #!/bin/sh
    PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:$PATH

Now all cygwin tools are found first.

If you are using the shell interactive, you can use /etc/profile
to set the path in this way.

Hope, this helps,
Corinna