bash hangs on WinNT Service Pack 5

Prabhakar Goyal pgoyal@isi.com
Thu Jan 20 21:05:00 GMT 2000

I am running a build process using gmake on WinNT SP5. Sometimes bash hangs
sucking up all the CPU time. Time to reproduce the problem varies from 5
minutes to one and half days.  Once this happens any command on other bash
windows fail with "bash: fork : No more processes" error. It is possible to
create processes (and threads) which have nothing to do cygwin (such as
invoking notepad).  I am using b20.1, bash version 2.02.1(2).

It seems there is a thread leak in cygnus compatibility layer. It seems to
maintain some sort of table of threads which is running out of space causing
fork() to fail (thougts?). Number of threads in the system goes up
significantly after this problem is seen.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

regards,
Prabhakar

Prabhakar Goyal                           Voice-mail: (408)-542-1630
Integrated Systems Inc., 201 Moffett Park Drive, Sunnyvale, CA 94089
e-mail: pgoyal@isi.com                 http://www.isi.com