Making wget

David Robinow drobinow@yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 12:31:00 GMT 2000

--- Glenn Spell <glenn@gs.fay.nc.us> wrote:
> On 26 Jan 2000 around 9:38AM (-0000) Norling,
> Gunnar wrote:
> > Some days ago there where a discussion involving
> the wget program.
> >
> > ftp.o(.text+0x848):ftp.c: undefined reference to
> `h_errno'
> > http.o(.text+0x750):http.c: undefined reference to
> `h_errno'
> >
> > This is my versions:
> > gcc --version: 2.95.2
> > uname -a: CYGWIN_NT-4.0 <machine> 1.1.0(0.16/3/2)
> 2000-01-20
> > 00:22:41 i686 unknown
>
> I get the same results. I'm using gcc-2.95 with the
> 1999-12-05
> dll (the newer dlls crash on me) on Win95.
>
> The following patch worked for me. I gleaned the
> information
> from /usr/include/netdb.h.
>
> I have no idea why this is necessary for some and
> not for others.

 I've investigated a bit. Later snapshots have the
line
     h_errno DATA
in winsup.din, whereas 19990115 snapshot has
     h_errno

 I don't know what this means, but I'm guessing it has
something to do with why it seems to link with the old
snapshot but not the newer ones.
 Although the program seems to work for me, I haven't
tested it enough to tell if the part of the code that
uses h_errno is broken (i.e. links but doesn't work)
or not.
  Apparently Glenn's patch solves the problem, but I'm
wondering if this is a case like many old programs
declaring
  int errno
when they should use
 #include <errno.h>

 In other words, perhaps the code should just
 #include <netdb.h>

(Note that the last few lines above are off-topic for
Cygwin)