new GUI setup program!

DJ Delorie dj@delorie.com
Thu Jul 13 17:56:00 GMT 2000

> You mean it crashes at the drop of a hat, ... ?

OK, just the *good* things windows users have come to expect.

> The options on the "Select root directory" dialogue could probably do
> with some explanation.

Yup.  I'll have to either enlarge the dialog box, or add a help
button.

> I checked "Use IE5 settings" because I didn't have any choice (why
> is it even an option when there's no alternative?

If you read the README in the sources, you'll see that the other
options are "to-do" items.

> and what if I didn't have IE5?),

Then setup wouldn't even run.  Same as the old setup.  When we
complete that to-do item, you could choose a direct connection, which
doesn't require installing IE5 but also doesn't use the automatic
proxy stuff that IE5 provides.

> and left the user ID and password boxes blank because I had no idea
> what to put in them, and it seemed to work.

If you use a proxy that requires authentication, you'd put that there.
It's optional.  People who need it usually know that they need it.

> The "Select download site" dialogue is too small (and needs a
> horizontal scroll bar).

OK, I guess I'll grow that one too.

> Also, it might make finding the one you want a bit easier if they
> were sorted.

I'll add it to the to-do list.

> You should probably preselect a default (probably
> ftp.freesoftware.com) for people who aren't familiar with the
> mirrors.

The appropriate default depends on where the user is, so we can't
really know which one to pick.

> (I notice Sourceware's own site is no longer included -- is this a
> deliberate change in policy or just an oversight?)

It's an aspect of how the mirror list on the web site works.  I added
it to the master list so it should start showing up.

> You might want to consider a "total download progress" indicator,
> like the one in the install phase.

I'll add it to the to-do list.

Note that adding things to the to-do list doesn't mean they'll get
done.  It just means that when people are interested in working on
setup, they'll know what kinds of things people have asked for.