Where to put profile files?

Randall Parker randall@nls.net
Mon Jul 17 23:03:00 GMT 2000

When I start up Bash from NT it opens in
   c:\winnt\profiles\randall\desktop

So I tried putting .bash_login and .bash_profile in it with just one line:
 alias dir=ls

This doesn't work. I tried putting a profile file with the same contents in the etc directory under
where I have cygwin installed:
  j:\prg\cygwin\etc\profile

That doesn't make any difference either.

I tried creating an etc directory on the c drive and putting profile in it too:
   c:\etc\profile

That doesn't help either.

So I'm running out of ideas. Anyone know where the Cygwin Bash goes looking for profile,
.bash_login, .bash_profile, and .bashrc?