Compiling Postgresql on latest cygwin - 2 questions

Dan Rosner rosner@cascadepg.com
Wed Jul 19 10:41:00 GMT 2000

Greetings!

Using the "latest" net cygwin, I'm trying to compile Postgresql 7.0.2
on a windows NT box with sp6a.

Make works fine until it hits directory backend/access/rtree.
Then the linker command fails with an error about an unsupported PEI
architecture pe-i386.

exact linker command: ld -r -o SUBSYS.o rtget.o rtproc.o rtree.o
rtscan.o
rtstrat.o
exact error message: Unsupported PEI architecture: pe-i386

Target subsys.o is created but 0 length. restarting make ignores the
described error, but creates the same one in the next directory in
the sequence.

Question 1:

Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong here?

Members of the postgresql PORTS list write that there are problems with
some
of the tools in the "latest" cygwin that prevent compilation.  I've
confirmed this somewhat by scanning the recent cygwin mail archives.
The
only current solution I'm aware of is to compile postgresql with an
older version
of Cygwin.

So my short term solution is to use the old cygwin B20.1 setup to
compile
the latest postgres 7.0.2 binaries.  I then install these binaries
on an NT box with the "latest" net cygwin 1.1.2, and these binaries
seem to run fine.

Naive Question 2:

Am I causing trouble by running binaries created with an older version
of cygwin
on the "latest" net cygwin?

Large thanks for any thoughts about these 2 questions.

Dan

--
Dan Rosner
Cascade Programming Group