cygwin software development tools

Paul Garceau pgarceau@teleport.com
Wed Jul 19 14:01:00 GMT 2000

On 19 Jul 00, at 16:46, the Illustrious Richard Wong wrote:

> I am looking for two text editors 'emacs' and 'vi' and two system
> commands 'cat' and 'more'.

	Assuming you are using a Win32 based platform, you can get cat
from the following site...

	http://www.weihenstephan.de/~syring/win32/UnxUtils.html

	Not sure why I haven't seen it at the Cygwin site.  cat.exe is
part of the UnxUtils.zip package which includes a number of
utilities such as cp, cmp, etc. for Win32 based platforms.
There is also a recent update there called UnxUpdates.zip which
includes utilities dated as modified on June 6, 2000.

	vi and emacs are not part of the .zip files noted.  Someone
mentioned using google.com to find the rest...I say go for it.
Search for "vi for windows", or "emacs for windows" (both exist
as I have installed them both at one time or another on my Win32
based platforms).  This was before ntemacs was available.
	As I recall, the latest release of ntemacs and Perl
(ActivePerl) both have versions of vi, either as links or
precompiled binaries included in their respective downloads.

	Paul G.

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.