Is Emacs available for cygwin?

Markus Hoenicka Markus.Hoenicka@uth.tmc.edu
Mon Jul 24 12:26:00 GMT 2000

Hi,

GNU Emacs is not (yet) ported to cygwin. XEmacs is, though. GNU Emacs
has a native Win32 port called NTEmacs which can use cygwin apps like
bash, but of course cannot use the cygwin mount table.

There has been discussion recently to move NTEmacs from VC++ to a free
(+Free) compiler, but mingw seems to have an edge over cygwin
here. For more information on this please peruse the NTEmacs-list
archives, see http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html
for the pointers (at the very bottom of the page). The current
maintainer of NTEmacs is Andrew Innes (sorry I don't have a current
email address, but you'll find it in the NTEmacs-list) has been very
responsive in the past to any kind of suggestions and porting
questions. You may find it useful to contact him for porting questions.

Hope this helps
Markus

Terrence Brannon writes:

 > I tried compiling Emacs for cygwin and it died immediately,stating that it had no configuration for cygwin... two questions:
 >
 > 1: has anyone already compiled emacs for cygwin?
 >
 > 2: if not, I would like to try. What os/arch combination will I find to be closest to cygwin/ix86-pc
 >

 > Terrence Brannon
 > 90 St. Mark's Place
 > Apt. 2E North
 > Staten Island, NY 10301
 > 914-755-4360

Markus Hoenicka, PhD
UT Houston Medical School
Dept. of Integrative Biology and Pharmacology
6431 Fannin MSB4.114
Houston, TX 77030
(713) 500-6313, -7477
(713) 500-7444 (fax)