__bufp, __buffer, _ptr, and _base : struct FILE access in Cygwin

Terrence Brannon princepawn@yahoo.com
Thu Jul 27 14:41:00 GMT 2000

4 hours later, I am still struggling to get Emacs
compiled for gcc. The Cygwin GCC choked when trying to
compile a file which was attempting to access some
characteristics of the FILE struct. I do not
understand
exactly what the source code for Emacs is doing here,
so I cannot post an intelligent question asking how
this functionality was aped or overlooked when porting
the GNU tools to Cygwin. I include the C macros below
and would like to know what aspects of a file that
__bufp, __buffer, _ptr, and _base refer to. And of
course I would like to know how this macro might be
rewritten so that it works under cygwin.

#ifdef GNU_LIBRARY_PENDING_OUTPUT_COUNT
#define PENDING_OUTPUT_COUNT
GNU_LIBRARY_PENDING_OUTPUT_COUNT
#else
#undef	PENDING_OUTPUT_COUNT
#define	PENDING_OUTPUT_COUNT(FILE) ((FILE)->__bufp -
(FILE)->__buffer)
#endif
#else /* not __GNU_LIBRARY__ */
#ifndef PENDING_OUTPUT_COUNT
#define PENDING_OUTPUT_COUNT(FILE) ((FILE)->_ptr -
(FILE)->_base)
#endif
#endif

=====