cvs available for test

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 31 18:25:00 GMT 2000

CVS is the 'concurrent versioning system'. This is the initial port of
cvs to cygwin's new packaging scheme. If you have problems/questions
about CVS itself, or how to install this package -- then you shouldn't
be testing this version. :-) Please test if you understand CVS and are
adept at using other versions (such as the cygutils version or CVS on
other platforms).

Pending positive reports from users, this version will go into
cygwin/contrib in the near future.

The package is now available for testing at
   ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/cygwin/private/cygwin-extras-392/
or one of the mirrors. Use a mirror. Use a mirror. Use a mirror.

cvs-1.10.8-1.tar.gz
cvs-1.10.8-1-src.tar.gz

gdbm-1.8.0-1 must be installed.

NOTES:

o I've had cvs-1.10 on cygutils for some time but it didn't follow the
official package layout rules for cygwin. This version is updated to
cvs-1.10.8, and is dynamically linked to libgdbm.dll.

o Abides by the cygwin package system standard:
  - cygwin-specific docs in /usr/doc/Cygwin/cvs-1.10.8.README
  - generic docs in /usr/doc/cvs-1.10.8/*

o A cygwin-specific README and PATCH are stored in the source archive,
under <top>/CYGWIN-PATCHES/* (although that patch has already been
applied to the archive itself). The cygwin-specific README is also
installed by the binary distribution as described above.

------- TEST REPORTS ---------

You can only run the 'official' tests if you download the source archive
(cvs-1.10.8-1-src.tar.gz) and build cvs yourself. However, I'm more
interested in reports from users who use this version for 'normal' daily
operation.

In any case, some notes from my personal tests, running the 'make check'
suite of tests. This took several hours to complete.

Of the many hundreds of tests, cvs failed only the following:
  - join-readonly-conflict
  - modules3
  - modules4
  - errmsg1
  - binfiles3
  - rcs3
There were several other subtests that failed with a 'Signal 11' error
(!!!) during the mega-test, but re-running those tests individually
succeeded.

I didn't run the following four tests, because they require a remote
repository to which you have write access:
  - pserver
  - server
  - server2
  - client

To run the tests individually, don't type 'make check'. Instead, cd to
<top>/src and type:
  '/bin/sh ./sanity.sh `pwd`/cvs list-of-tests-to-run'

You can find the list of all tests inside sanity.sh starting at line
592.

This list of failures may be scary, but it's no worse than the older
cygwin port of cvs-1.10. I'd appreciate any reports of success or
failure using this version.

BTW, cvs-1.10.8 installs into /usr/bin, so if you've got an older
version in /usr/local/bin make sure you're using the new version, and
that the /usr/local/bin version isn't hiding the new version.

--Chuck