NT authentication w/ inetd problem

Corinna Vinschen corinna@vinschen.de
Thu Jun 1 12:20:00 GMT 2000

Adam Hupp wrote:
> I am trying to setup ftpd on our NT server, and am having some problems.
> When the login prompt come up, I type in my username and after hitting
> return it immediatly rejects me.  I have created the passwd and groups
> files, with both domain and local users.  Adding the domain
> as described in inetutils.README does not help.  Inetd is being run as
> the System user.  I do get an event log entry that says:
>
> The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ftpd ) could not be
> found. It contains the following insertion string(s): ftpd : Win32 Process
> Id = 0x99 : Cygwin Process Id = 0x541 : fcntl F_SETOWN: Invalid argument.

That's not the problem. It's only an event log which has no
further influence. Actually I should remove that from the
cygwin port.

> Also, telnet lets me enter my password, but rejects me as well.
> I am running cygwin v1.1.1, NT4 server, SP5.  Any ideas?  Thanks,

I assume that your passwd file has DOS line endings while
/etc or one of it's upper directories is binary mounted.
Check this first, please.

Another try: Is your login shell in /etc/shells? This could
explain the ftpd behaviour.

If that doesn't help, please check the event log again if
you can find another interesting entry and send it to the list,
please.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen