New version of setup.exe with fixes for i686-pc-cygwin/* problem

Chris Faylor cgf@cygnus.com
Thu Jun 8 10:42:00 GMT 2000

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 12:46:14PM -0400, Norman Vine wrote:
>Chris Faylor writes:
>>I've uploaded a new version of setup.exe to sourceware which just
>>deletes files in the i686-pc-cygwin hierarchy that are outdated by the
>>new cygwin 1.1.2 (or any other installation, for that matter)
>>installation.
>
>Just to make sure I am doing things right
>
>I also had to manually put _G_config.h into /usr/include

Only if you want to completely eliminate /usr/i686-pc-cygwin-include.
This will eventually occur when all of the packages stop using it.  There
is no need to copy this now unless you want to.

>So should I recreate the i686-pc-cygwin directory or is it OK to leave
>as is in / usr / include ??

It should be relatively empty now.  Eventually it will be completely
empty.  There is no need to take any other action unless you want to
free up the empty directories.  i686-pc-cygwin/bin still has some files
in it that were not touched by the installation.

>Only other thing I have noticed is that some installs seem to leave
>headers in DOS form /r/n when installing them into / usr / local /
>include from a text mounted drive / is mounted as binary
>
>readline-4.0 and python-1.52 both did this

No installation from sourceware will put \r\n endings on headers.  We
aren't responsible for other packages.  If they include header files with
\r\n line endings then the package is broken and you should complain to
the maintainer.

>This causes problems for gcc until I manually run the
>files through a d2U filter.

I can imagine.

>Could this be due to my setup ??
>
>NHV:/> mount
>Device              Directory           Type         Flags
>c:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            user         binmode
>c:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            user         binmode
>c:\cygwin           /                   user         binmode
>c:                  /c                  user         textmode
>d:                  /d                  user         textmode
>e:                  /e                  user         textmode
>f:                  /f                  user         textmode

I guess you should read the documentation and voluminous discussions about
textmode vs.  binary mode.  I am, unfortunately, physically incapable of
explaining this one more time.

cgf