[melendez@orca.com: Cygwin bash mount over Ataman telnetd is inaccessible.]

David Bolen db3l@fitlinxx.com
Mon Jun 12 09:32:00 GMT 2000

It's possible that this is a generic NT security problem that can show up
with services trying to do network access, depending on how the telnet
services logs a user into the system (I've never used Ataman myself).  It
would be helpful to know if access to the share was a problem from a
non-bash/cygwin environment.  It's also not mentioned, but I'm assuming that
the server on which the share is being accessed is also NT.

What may be happening is that the telnetd service is running under the
LocalSystem account, which means that it has no credentials for network
access (or to be more precise it has a Null set of credentials).  By default
that will mean it has no network access to remote machines, which are set up
by default (as of NT 4.0) to reject Null session credential clients, with
only a few exceptions.

I would normally expect that the Ataman service is requesting an interactive
login token for a user for authentication and then creating a process as
that user, which I would think would create the necessary network
credentials, but it also wouldn't surprise me to find out that it didn't :-)

One quick test would be to run the Ataman service as some specific user (it
can be set up that way in the services control panel).  The user selected
would probably need to be a full administrator (to ensure it can execute any
functions the telnet server may try when setting up a remote login).

The other approach is to try opening up (in general, or specifically) access
to the share in question on the server side for Null session clients (which
includes LocalSystem services):

You can either:

(a) Open up access in general for such clients, by installing beneath
    the registry key:
        HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
    the DWORD value:
        RestrictNullSessAccess = 0

    (The value is normally not present at all, but defaults internally to 1)

(b) Add either the existing share that the client is accessing (or perhaps
    dedicate a new limited share just for the client) and add that share
    to the value of NullSessionShares on the server (same key location).  It
    should already be present with a few entries.  Add your share as a new
    entry (if you use regedt32 it'll handle the REG_MULTI_SZ type nicely).

You'll have to restart the server (or at least the LanmanServer service) for
changes to take effect.

Neither of these are necessarily that attractive as a long term operating
solution, but may at least be useful in the test environment.

-- David

 \               David Bolen            \   E-mail: db3l@fitlinxx.com  /