telnet problems with current cygwin version

Corinna Vinschen corinna@vinschen.de
Thu Jun 15 01:11:00 GMT 2000

Terry Lincoln wrote:

> Ed,
>
> >From the looks of your mount output all of your moints are user mode
> mounts.  This means, IIRC that these mounts are only available when
> your user hive is loaded.  When mount -s is used they are recorded
> in the machine registry and are always available.
>
> You should either switch the the user account you are running inetd
> as and then mount your drives, or if using LocalSystem mount them
> with the -s (system) option.
>
> That should work better...
>
> Beyond that I can't guess.

That's enough. If inetd is started under LocalSystem account,
you _must_ use system mounts. If you can see user mounts, you have
a problem. The user mounts are in the registry found under
HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT/Software/Cygnus Solutions/... and you'll have
to delete them with regtool or RegEdit.

BUT: You _must_ at least create the system root mount first.

I have written that system mount points have to be created
already in the inetutils-1.3.2.README file. which is part
of the package. In versions up to 1.3.2-3, the README is in the
root directory, since 1.3.2-4 you can find it in /usr/doc/Cygwin.

Moreover that problem was already talked about in this mailing list.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Developer