make-3.79-1 simply hangs

Chris Faylor cgf@cygnus.com
Fri Jun 16 09:50:00 GMT 2000

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 01:49:08PM +0200, Gerbert Orasche wrote:
>I have the problem that Make hangs, CPU is at 0 percent. The Makefile
>includes many sed generated dependency files containing DOS style CR/LF. My
>guess is that this is causing the hang.

That's usually an indication of something waiting for input.  Try typing CTRL-D
and see if things progress further.  Either that or type:

make < nul

I'm not suggesting that this is a fix but if things move along with this method
it means that something like sed is trying to read from standard input rather
than a file.  You'll have to debug your makefile to figure out exactly what
is causing this.

cgf