Unexpected stack dump using strtok() function

Marco.Pettinella@marconi.com Marco.Pettinella@marconi.com
Thu Jun 22 05:57:00 GMT 2000

Hi everybody.
I've just installed Cygwin 1.1.2 (uname -r : 1.1.2(0.21/3/2) ).

I'm doing some tests finalized to port a Unix application under Windows NT.
I noted that, while using strtok() function, I receive a SIGSEGV
which causes a stack dump under NT.

The little program I used to understand this behaviour was the following:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int
main()
{
     static char *string = "MARCO#PETTINELLA";
     static char *separator = "#";
     char *name;
     char *surname;

     name = NULL;
     surname = NULL;

     name = strtok (string, separator);
     if (name == NULL) {
          fprintf (stderr, "NAME IS NULL!\n");
          return -1;
     }
     fprintf (stderr, "NAME: %s\n", name);

     surname = strtok (0, separator);
     if (surname == NULL) {
          fprintf (stderr, "SURNAME IS NULL!\n");
          return -1;
     }
     fprintf (stderr, "SURNAME: %s\n", surname);

     return 0;
}

I also compiled this program under SCO Unix and HP UX, and I verified that
it runs correctly, as expected.

I'm wondering if this SIGSEGV is due to a misconfiguration of my gcc or if it is
 a bug.
Does anybody have experienced a problem like this?

My release of gcc is 2.95.2-1.

Thanks in advance for your help. Marco