include incompatibilities

towo@computer.org towo@computer.org
Thu Jun 29 14:22:00 GMT 2000

I had lamented about incompatible changes in include files.
May I repeat the practical essence of my previous mail which is the
question: How can these things be detected by #ifdef's without
referring to actual system specifics as below?

#include <errno.h>
#ifdef __CYGWIN__	/* and version > something ... ! */
#define sys_nerr _sys_nerr
#define sys_errlist _sys_errlist
#endif

(On "classical" systems, the exported names are without underlines -
why do these name manglings have to be imposed on us?)

Regards,
Thomas

: I installed a complete new Cygwin 1.1.1 now, and uninstalled B20.
: As my application did not work anymore it seemed I had to recompile it.
:
: First, it did not compile anymore.
: There was a recent mail here apparently related to the problem
: about sys_errno and sys_errlist. Obviously someone thought it would be
: fun just to rename these two and waste thousands of developers' time
: world-wide (who have to adapt their software after finding out what's
: going on) by introducing incompatibilities with long-established Unix
: standards. Or is there any real reason for this game?
:
: Now, it does compile but only with a warning about this completely
: superfluous "const" stuff in the new errno definition. I was annoyed
: already when the SuSe Linux distribution had introduced some similar
: nonsense (and some other nonsense where #include <linux/termios.h> is
: now needed instead of just <termios.h>).
: All this voguish "assumedly-modern C" junk only increases portability
: problems and wastes developers' time. It's nothing but a nuisance.
:
: Could people who play around with definitions in an incompatible way
: please at least provide information on how to detect their patch with
: #ifdef's? I have no idea how to handle the "const" crap in a general way.
:
: Kind regards,
: Thomas Wolff