Compiling Mesa from CVS under Cygwin B20.1

Jeffrey Juliano juliano@cs.unc.edu
Sun Mar 5 19:57:00 GMT 2000

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, Suhaib M. Siddiqi wrote:

> Anyhow OpenGL API Implementation (SGI version) is available at
> http://siddiqi.webjump.com

I can't access this url right now, so I'm not able to verify what I'm
about to say.  (get an error page from webjump.com)

> It includes GL. GLU, GLUT and RGB etc.

I'm curious what opengl implementation is included in

    cygwin-xfree-4.0-cygwin-v-1.tar.bz2

I never did figure that out.  I think you are saying that it's SGI's
recently open-sourced GLX?  If so, I'm surprised that there is a libgl.a.
I didn't think GLX would build to something called libgl.a.

I had guessed that libgl.a is from mesa.  If that's true, whay is GLU
not included, too?  Does it not build, currently?  (I'm not very familiar
with mesa...yet)

> There is a major difference in OpenGL 32 and OpenGL for X that is mainly wGL
> and GLX.
[...]
> This is not hacking??  You are mixing OpenGL32 (i.e wGL) with GLX????

I'm not sure how to read this.  What, exactly, is "wGL"?  I think
"OpenGL32" is the microsoft implementation?

I'm using microsoft's GL with glut, and no GLX.  My original post was a
mistake, as I've described in a different message.  Somehow, I missed that
the original poster was using Mesa, and not microsoft's OpenGL
implementation.

Suhaib, and the other people working on the cygwin-xfree86 project, thank
you for all your effort!

-jeff