cygwin-inst-20000304 query

DJ Delorie dj@delorie.com
Wed Mar 8 19:08:00 GMT 2000

> If they are just names that are independent of architecture, then
> why is there any need to mention the architecture ?

Well, so you can tell the difference between those and, say,
ppc-pc-cygwin.  Or, i86-pc-cygwin (if a 16-bit version were even
possible).

> Furthermore, what is the point of changing the name of the
> architecture if there is no difference ?

Marketing.  People don't like buying software for "older" computers.
Plus, "uname" returns the actual cpu, and config.guess uses that, so
if you built cygwin on a 486, it would default to i486-pc-cygwin
because that's what you built it on.  We all have 686's so that's our
default.