windows CE with cygwin, mingw, other free tools?

Chris Faylor cgf@cygnus.com
Fri Mar 10 09:04:00 GMT 2000

On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 03:19:27AM -0500, Steve Horne wrote:
>Has anyone used any of the gnu-based toolchains to generate code for
>windows CE?  (I see you holding your nose.) We are developing a product
>which will use a palmtop for the user interface.  I wondered whether
>mingw in particular might be able to do this.  Anyone tried it?

The CVS versions of gcc, binutils, and gdb have preliminary Windows CE
support.  We're currently working in the next generation of support
right now.  It should show up in the repository in the next two weeks
or so.

Unfortunately, this means that you'll have to build your own toolchains.
We also rely on the publicly available Microsoft SDKs for our includes
and libraries.

Getting things working on Windows CE entailed some...  interesting...
challenges.

cgf