Cygwin performance (was [ANN] PW32 the...)

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) lhall@rfk.com
Wed Mar 15 14:01:00 GMT 2000

This is a good point and one we shouldn't loose sight of.  I, like many
others, don't use the "default" ls (my ls is aliased to ls -CF).  At least
in my case, the listing is slowed down because all files need to be opened
to determine their type.  From my recollection, ls without any bells and
whistles does not require this and therefore any performance degradation
noticed here on network drives is the result of just network overhead.  That
doesn't mean that this overhead couldn't be lessened nor that it wouldn't
be good to find ways to make these embellished accesses work more quickly,
across the network or otherwise.  However, it does seem prudent to be
specific about what causes what to be slow.  Operations that require the
files to be opened on a local or network disk will always be slower than
those that do not.

Larry